F&O IT manages and tracks projects using conventional project management techniques. These techniques help us ensure the success of projects.
It is important to involve F&O IT very early in the planning stages of any project (large or small).
To initiate a project discussion simply submit a Service Request. Someone from F&O will get back to you to discuss the next steps.
All customer requests should be entered via a Service Request. We will contact the customer to find out more about the needs and provide assistance in developing the scope, risks, resources, schedule, and budget.
In some cases, existing staff may be available to complete projects. Large or complex projects may require additional contracted staffing to support a timely completion.
After possible projects are scoped, they are reviewed by the F&O IT Leadership team for staffing, routing, scheduling, and funding. Requests approved as projects will be assigned a champion. The champion acts as the liaison between the customer and the IT staff to complete each project in a timely manner.
Current projects are tracked on the FOIT Project Tracker. This tool is available to members of the F&O IT Customer Advisory Committee and others by request.
- Implemented plan to upgrade over 400 Windows 7 F&O workstations
- Implemented MFA 2-step verification and coordinated training for 2,000+ customers
- Developed first version of F&O procedures for change management, access control, IT vendor management, and disaster recovery
- Coordinated security review and assisted with the implementation of Tar Heel Mission Ready
- Deployed Remote Desktop Management to all F&O workstations
- Developed a Mobile Point of Sale Solution for Dining Services
- Improved WiFi in Student Stores
- Developed ruggedized mobile readers for Dining and Athletics
- Replaced 32 first generation digital signage locations (food service menu displays and other information centers) with new digital displays
- Implemented Onyen- and PID-based authentication and transactions through Pharos and CS Gold
- Replaced 58 Micros WS5a Point of Sale registers with new generation 620 and implement PIN Debit acceptance
- Upgraded Geographic Information System software for gismaps.unc.edu.
- Upgraded Space Planning and Occupancy Tracking System to new virtual servers
- Implemented Veeam backups for all virtual systems
- Reorganized System Center Configuration Manager
- Improved inventory system and procurement process
- Implemented Airwatch – new mobile device management solution.
- Supported cross training to increase depth of knowledge in supporting specific customer areas
- Coordinated the 911 Center Renovation
- Implemented Parkmobile to reserve and pay for football and baseball parking
- Developed a plan for night parking in the parking management system
- Supported F&O departmental/staffing moves – facilities upgrades, furniture specifications, training lab development, and after-move support for technology integration in new or renovated spaces
- Supported the Office 365 transition in numerous units
- Tracked and remediated security vulnerabilities to new levels of success
- Implemented a standardized computer/accessory ordering process
- Streamlined the online Service Request process to align with ITIL best practices
- Continued to migrate servers to UCS and decommission obsolete servers
- Refined IT inventory discovery tool and partnered with ITS
- Re-engineered Employee Transportation Registration System
- Upgraded all Police body worm cameras, docking, and charging stations.
- Expanded License Plate Registration capabilities
- Revamped the F&O SCCM structure to align with new department codes
- Integrated Structureware and Niagara logins with Active Directory
- Implemented Veeam backups for Hyper-V guests
- Updated the Verizon billing web tool and payment process
- Established a documentation knowledgebase
- Implemented dual lane credit card solution in Lenoir Hall.
- Upgraded Parking and Control Mobile Communication Devices
- Completed audit of all credit card terminals for PCI compliance
- Relocated Housekeeping staff and technology back to Cheek-Clark
- Retired finance server “Augusta” and moved division to SECNAS
- Planned and implemented technology and staff moves into the Service Center for Excellence
- Planned and implemented the F&O Office 365 migration
- Decommissioned 14 servers
- Moved all but 16 servers to ITS UCS
- Supported the Barnes & Noble transition
- Implemented online parking permitting
- Replaced digital signage players on campus
- Upgraded and installed new vending OneCard readers
- Completed “Phase I” (campuswide OneCard reader labeling) of the CS Gold/OneCard mobile app project
- Supported the Xerox MFD contract and deployment
- Upgraded Pharos and mobile print
- Launched an inventory tool (xAssets)
- Filled positions with high quality individuals