Beginning Sept. 27, Zoom will enforce the application of either the waiting room or a passcode to all Zoom meetings, including those already scheduled. By default, the waiting room will be applied to all meetings; however, users can adjust these settings before, on, and after Sept. 27.
You and those you support are encouraged to take two actions:
- Review your current Zoom profile settings to select your preferred default option for scheduling new meetings:
- Waiting Room: UNC’s Zoom settings have been customized to add an option to allowing any UNC Zoom user to bypass the waiting room. If you created your UNC Zoom account before July 19, 2020, this setting will be your default. If you created your UNC Zoom account after that time, you will need to enable this option.
- Passcode: If you enable “Require a passcode when scheduling new meetings,” you can disable the waiting room. This will allow meeting participants to join before the meeting host, but requires re-sending meeting invitations to participants to share the passcode with them.
- Review your existing Zoom meetings:
- Before Sept. 27, meetings without a waiting room or passcode will be indicated with a red icon. If you want to prevent a waiting room being added automatically to these meetings on Sept. 27, you will need to edit each meeting to require a passcode.You will also need to re-send any meeting invitations to participants to share the passcode with them.