Finance and Operations IT is in the process of migrating the traditional homes of departmental shared file space to a new, division-wide file system based on department numbers. The “B:” drive for each employee is divided into two sections:
- Shows all departments for which an employee has access. Each folder inside the “Departments” folder starts with the six-digit department number. The Departments folder structure is the new home for all shared departmental files and data. Access to data within a Departments folder is open to all members of that department.
- Shows specific ad-hoc group folders for which an employee has access. Group folders may be project or special-interest based and allow for shared files with specific people or groups of people from different departments. A new group folder can be created through a service request to F&O IT.
Collaboration. Communication. Content.
Office 365 has it all and more, and Microsoft is constantly producing new ways for you to learn how to use these powerful tools.
- Get Started with Teams
- Setup and use channels
- Keep track of conversations
- Chat in Teams
- Meetings and calls
- Use and share files
What is Office 365?
- Office 365 is a collection of applications that are cloud based or available online
- Office 365 includes: Outlook, OneDrive, Teams, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Skype for business, and more
- All of these applications are accessible online from any computer
- To access Office 365 go to https://office.unc.edu/
Why Use OneDrive?
- OneDrive is an online file storage part of Office 365
- OneDrive enables users to access their files anywhere on any internet connected device.
- OneDrive has one terabyte of storage
- OneDrive has autosave features and you can share files with colleagues easily
- OneDrive has been approved for Sensitive Information Storage
Remember When Using OneDrive!
- Sensitive information can be saved, shared internally but should not be shared externally.
- OneDrive is best used for files that do not require a lot of interaction from members of your team.
- Be sure to review departmental retention guidelines for files prior to cleaning folders and moving to OneDrive.
- Use short, meaningful files and folder names.
- Curate and archive your files regularly.
Accessing OneDrive Online
- Files stored in OneDrive can be accessed through File Explorer or online through Office 365.
- To access OneDrive files online on any device navigate to https://office.unc.edu/ and login in with your email@example.com and password
- OneDrive can be accessed at the start screen or by clicking the waffle at the upper left hand corner.
- To access Files stored in OneDrive through File Explorer, open file explorer and locate OneDrive under the list of places on the left hand side of the window.
Best Practices for OneDrive
- Use OneDrive for Files that:
- Do not require interaction from other members of your team
- Require review by 1-2 people
- Create an archive folder for files no longer up to date and regularly clean folders
- Create a working folder to house files currently in review or being edited
- Limit permissions to a few users per document
- For help, navigate to http://office365.unc.edu/
Additional OneDrive Resources
- Learn from the in-depth how-tos and videos at Microsoft.com
- Upload files and folders in OneDrive for Business
- Create a document from OneDrive for Business
- Share OneDrive files and folders
- Work with shared files and folders in OneDrive
- See files shared with you in OneDrive
- Stop sharing OneDrive files or folders or change permissions