UNC-Chapel Hill has developed technology and online resources to readily support work at home options for employees. Working from home, or teleworking, is a concept where the employee is allowed to do their job from home either on a regular schedule or temporarily to support a short-term need.
Interested employees should discuss teleworking options with their manager. Eligibility decisions will be based on the nature of the employee’s role, potential impact to customers and colleagues, the employee’s work performance and other factors.
Once an employee has been approved to work at home, they will need to utilize technology resources to facilitate their job requirements.
ITS and F&O IT are available to help you with any university technology-related questions.
Accessing ConnectCarolina and Network Drives
You can access UNC’s internal network, including ConnectCarolina and network storage drives, by installing the Cisco AnyConnect VPN (virtual private network) program on your computer.
- Quick Reference: How to Install the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Program
- Instructional Video: How to Install the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Program
- Quick Reference: Accessing the VPN
- Instructional Video: Accessing the VPN
Collaborate and Run Meetings Remotely
Zoom is used to schedule and host online meetings using video, voice and screen sharing.
Microsoft Teams is a collaboration app that is available to you through Office 365. Teams has a powerful chat feature, allows you to host online meetings and can be used for storage of shared files.
- Teams Quick Reference: Opening and Logging In
- Teams Quick Reference: Working With Your Team
- Teams Quick Reference: Meet Online with Your Team
Work with Adobe PDFs
Adobe’s Portable Document Format (PDF) is a widely-used tool for maintaining the traditional presentation of documents in an electronic format. The Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Acrobat Reader applications provide multiple tools for making changes and additions to PDFs.
- Presentation: Adobe Acrobat DC
- Quick Reference: Adding Text to a PDF
- Quick Reference: Signing a PDF Using Adobe Acrobat
Forwarding Your Phone
When working from home, you should always forward your office phone to avoid inconvenience to your colleagues and customers.
Using Your Television as a Computer Monitor
Need more than one screen? You may be able to use your television as a monitor.